Thursday, September 10, 2009

Discovering Dolls

When I discovered reborn dolls on the internet nearly six years ago, I appreciated them as an art form. I was amazed at the realism, and I wanted one…but just one. I was not a doll collector and it never crossed my mind to become one. If anything, a reborn doll would have been one of the first pieces in my future art collection.


Until recently, dolls didn’t play a big role in my life. I was more of a Tom Boy when I was a little girl, and I enjoyed playing with hot wheels and marbles. I did have some Barbies, but in typical little sister fashion, I felt that my big sister always got the better Barbie dolls, so mine lost their appeal. As a pre-teen I joined in the Cabbage Patch phenomenon and begged my Mom to get me one. I received Tabitha Elizabeth for my 12th birthday and I still have her to this day. I would say that was the extent of my doll obsession as a child.

Over the last two years, I have learned more about reborn dolls, OOAKs and a variety of other dolls. I used to say that I wanted to learn to make them all, but I had no interest in collecting…but that is no longer the case. Aside from a couple of my own reborns that I haven’t parted with, I own one little bundle baby by Dorothy Steven and I am constantly seeing dolls that I would love to own. OOAKs, mini babies, silicones, fairies, ball-jointed dolls and even some unique play dolls are capturing my attention. How I wish I could own them all! Sadly, with small children in my house, I don’t think this is the time for me to be collecting many of the art dolls I am fond of, so I must live vicariously through the collectors I meet online and at doll shows.

So, I’m asking all of you collectors to indulge me and share your collections. What is your favourite doll? How did you get started? What is your most coveted doll? Send your photographs and comments to us at editor@lifelikedollsmag.com.

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment